Kalamazoo Public SchoolsPrairie Ridge Elementary School
Client Kalamazoo Public Schools
Location Kalamazoo, MI
Size (sq. ft) 84,532
Completion Date September 2008
This facility is comprised of five main areas: gymnasium/cafeteria, music and band rooms, administration, media center, and a classroom wing. This school was constructed using economical and sustainable design elements as the primary focus.
Prairie Ridge Elementary was designed as a LEED Gold certified facility in accordance with the USGBC. Sustainable aspects include a vegetative roof, high efficient building systems, and low VOC materials. Over 30% of the building products were manufactured from recyclable materials. Other environmentally conscious materials included formaldehyde-free wood and low VOC adhesives and paint. The elementary school received an Award of Excellence in the Green Building Learning Facilities category.
Other unique building elements included:
- Grounds incorporated Prairie Grass and native plant species to create a natural setting
- Outdoor open-air Amphitheater space for performances
- Mudrooms for the early-elementary classrooms
- Parking broken into smaller islands, which allows for the creation of rain gardens for stormwater management to occur naturally
- Green roof patio to allow for student instruction
- Daylight and outdoor views provided in all regularly occupied educational spaces
- Integration of the building into the natural sloped site
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold