Corporation HallRedevelopment of 145-Year-Old Former Fire Station Building
2014 National ABC Eagle Award – “Renovation, $4-$10 Million” Category
2014 ABC West Michigan Chapter Award – “Green Construction, $5-$10 Million” Category
Client Catalyst Development Co., L.L.C.
Location Kalamazoo, MI
Size (sq. ft) 33,000
Completion Date 2013
Corporation Hall was originally built in 1867 and once housed Kalamazoo’s local police and fire departments, and was the city’s first City Hall. As construction began, maintaining the historical integrity of the building was of the utmost importance, but decades of use were evident in the almost 150-year-old building.
The original scope of work included resurfacing the floors on each level to keep the historical integrity of the building, but the repurposing of the building over the years resulted in damaged floor systems that had to be replaced, and as a result, the interior brick walls could not be reused. The building’s east facade was replaced in the mid-1970s due to severe storm damage and has been replaced with a more up-to-date design. In the end, historical preservation included maintaining character of both the north and south brick walls and repurposing materials from the existing structure, including using reclaimed wood for stairs and architectural details within the residential units.
The finished Corporation Hall building is mixed-use with retail on the lower level and first floor, and residential units for lease on the 2nd and 3rd levels. Three of the five apartments are two stories and cover between 1,900 and 2,000 square feet. The single-level, two-bedroom dwellings are approximately 1,100 square feet. Each also has a covered parking garage in the rear of the building.